Saturday, September 25, 2010

So I ask you,

Since I have nothing else to do but play on the computer and be on facebook, I figure I will make some use of my time by making a list of things that's been bugging me. Maybe you guys can help me figure this out,

1. So I don't know if it's just me but I am actually quite surprised to see how chubby people are in India. Alot of them have diabetic bodies, too. You know like round belly and flabby here and there. These are petite people who actually have large behind. Isn't this also the country of yoga and vegetarianism?
2. What's up with head bobbling thing? I can't figure out if they are saying yes or no. Not everyone does it but a lot of them do. It's kinda constant bobbling when talking to you.
3. There're more men out there, where are the women? Everywhere I go, everywhere I see, there're so many more men than women, about 10:1 ratio. Where are the ladies? I wonder if they are the ones doing actual work somewhere while men are just hanging out.
4. Dogs, let's talk about dogs. I've seen people with dog as pets. there're stores where they sell royal canine dog food and other pet related things, as well as animal hospitals. I don't even feed my own dogs Royal Canine cuz they're expensive. Yet, there're so many stray dogs. I highly doubt there're any rescue groups for dogs. so where are these 'pet' dogs coming from? Do they have breeders??
5. Shopping.. wow....I'm disappointed in shopping here. I haven't seen any stores where they have gold. What am I doing wrong? or did I just have too high expectations??  

So there goes my rambling of nothingness, but it feels good to get it out. Any thoughts on any of these????

6 comments:

  1. Haha, I feel like I'd comment on the same things, if I was there, Jin. Aside from the fat, bobbling men and dogs, give us a taste of some of the cool things about the area. How's the food and the weather? Are you covered in scarves yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting on my physique. The head bobbling cud mean different thingz to different ppl. But usually vertical nodding indicates yes, and horizontal no. With the ratio of men out there, it should be easy for you to grab one or two (says Kwaku). I am not rabidly interested in dogs, but wud stay away from stray dogs if I were u. Go to any jewellery store for Gold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sending your blog site to Gautam....maybe he'll have some insight ;) I miss you babe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Chooch bobble head must be a hit there! Or maybe you've been staring at it for too long :) I think you should leave it as a souvenir to the best human bobble head in India!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll do what I can as systematically as I can.


    1. The vast* majority of India is very poor. And by poor I don't mean I'm on welfare but I have an ipod, I mean like lives on less than a dollar a day. Poor people usually view food as a means of survival than a mechanism to energize their bodies. If you're in a poor area, you'll see fat people. Same as here.

    2. That's just a cultural thing. People are very agreeable and don't want to say 'no' to your face. Can't do much but deal.

    3. Women do work but many of them stay in the house. In more conservative societies, i.e. smaller villages, men enjoy privaleges that women don't, apparently sunshine is one of them.

    4. No, they don't have breeders or owners. There are millions* of stray dogs in India and many are being euthenized b/c they are dirty and cause disease. They travel in packs and get it on with each other, no one seems to care..

    5. Shopping. You have to go to major cities, and even at that Bombay and sometimes Delhi for high quality. Everywhere else is pretty weak. Gold - you can find shops anywhere, just ask around where you will get ripped off the least, note I didn't say get a good price. Plan accordingly and stick to your budget. Indians can be hagglers..

    Hope everything else is well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had an Indian patient that did the head bob thing. It drove me mad! I dont know why it bothered me soooo much but, it did. I guess I thought of it as a sign of indifference. Is there male and female head bobbing? In my case the women in his family never did it so, I thought it was just a male thing?
    Is the Royal Canin any cheaper in India? If so, can you pick up a few bags for me :)

    ReplyDelete