Monday, November 29, 2010

Am I becoming an Indian?

Each day seems so long at times, yet the time flies before I notice that it's December! I am on a return train back to the lovely and sleepy town of Thanjavur after spending a long weekend with Erin and Geoff visiting Taj Mahal and the Agra fort. During this trip with Erin and Geoff, I've noticed that I am almost like half Indian. The reasons are listed below. 
  • I no longer require toilet paper.
  • I can eat with my hands now. I still can't do rice with hands, though.
  • Hot shower is a luxury, not a necessity
  • People don't stare at me anymore, They assume I'm from Northeast of India or Nepal (not even China). 
  • I don't see any problem with making 2-lane street into 6-lane street
  • Traffic lights are just annoyance, you don't need them.
  • Not sharing the street with the animals is just selfish. When there were no goats while I was in Delhi, I felt lonely. 
  • I believe squatting for #1 and 2 have anatomical advantages.
There're many other reasons why I am only half like I can't wear Sari, I can't speak Hindi, tamil or any other Indian languages, or I can't stand cockroaches. When I spend about 2-3 more months in India, I'm sure I will become a true Indian. So this was just a thought and I will post my pictures from Taj soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment